Monday, January 13, 2014

Review: Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo

@NYMBrands #NYMCleanFreak

           Hi everyone! This will be my review of the Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo. I bought this from Ulta, but I have inspired from Influenster's Violet VoxBox to purchase this product. This product retails for $5.99 for 7 ounces, however, the Not Your Mother's brand will go Buy 1 Get 1 50% off at Ulta so it may be even cheaper if you pick up a second product from the line during the sale! There is 7 ounces in this product which is how much dry shampoos usually contain (give or take). Conveniently, this also comes in a travel size.

          According to the packaging, this is how Not Your Mother's describe the product:
"I know you're busy keeping up with the social life! So don't waste precious time in the bathroom, just use CLEAN FREAK. Get that perfect hair (and the perfect guy!) before all the other girls. Expect more room on your social calendar because this salon formula dry shampoo will have you and your hair ready for a night out on the town."
          These are the directions on how to use the product:
"Application: Spray generously on roots and throughout hair. Brush through to diffuse powder and watch it absorb any excess oils. Style as desired and enjoy your newly freshened hair." 
          These are the claims on the product:
Instant Results:
  • Absorbs excess oils
  • Cleans without water
  • Lite matte finish
          Based on the claims, do I think it absorbs excess oils? Yes!
          Do I think this product cleans without water? No! This is probably the dumbest claim I have ever read on any product. First off, you can't just coat your hair in a product and call it clean. Ever try soaking a pot? Just because you put dish washing detergent in the pot does not make it clean! Also, you don't clean your hair with water. Try putting shampoo in it and not washing it. 
         Do I think it leaves a lite matte finish? Not that I have noticed, but it doesn't leave a white cast!

         As for my thoughts on this product, I think it works great, but only under certain conditions. If you run your fingers through your hair to try to diffuse the dry shampoo, you will end up with no results. In fact, when I do that with my hair, it looks more oily and feels more oily than before the dry shampoo. Funny thing is, the same thing happens when I use a brush. Somehow it just clumps my hair together. The only way I get this product to work like it is suppose to is if I spray it on my roots and don't touch my hair for 5 minutes. Then, I brush it through. I should also say, NO WHITE CAST! No matter how much you put in your hair. The only thing I don't like about this product is the smell. There is some type of fragrance that reminds me of citrus, but it doesn't smell very well. Thankfully, the smell does not linger. I also don't like that crazy claims the brand makes. I will start with the less ridiculous one first. This product is very quick to use, but saving time in the bathroom? No, the only time I save time is when my hair is freshly washed from the night before and I don't require the product at all. The other ridiculous claim is that it cleans. If it cleans, then why do I not replace this with my shampoo? Exactly, it doesn't really clean. It just absorbs the oils because it doesn't cleanse your hair of the oils or anything your hair my have encountered in the environment: dirt, dust, etc. Other than that, I think this product does work!

So to summarize:

Pro:
  1. Absorbs oils
  2. Cheap
  3. Comes in travel size
  4. No white cast
Cons:
  1. Clumps hair when you run through with fingers/brush
  2. Ridiculous claims
My Overall Rating: 90/100

If you have tried this product, let me know what you think! Have you tried anything else from the Not Your Mother's Line?

If you are interested more in the Not Your Mother's Line, here are some helpful links!
NYM Website
NYM Facebook
NYM Twitter
NYM Pinterest

Until next time...
-Cindy


No comments:

Post a Comment